Having a wireless security camera to watch over your property can be incredibly useful for various reasons. Most folks have video cameras installed at home, but they are only sometimes enough to guarantee your utmost safety.
Luckily, with wireless technology, you no longer have to run wires around your home or worry about the placement of your cameras. You only need a place to mount your camera in an optimal position and a firm Wi-Fi connection.
With this camera, you can watch your property without being at home.
The Blink Outdoor Camera is one of the options for you, and it is the one that I chose.
Here's what we cover:
- Is Blink A Good Camera?
- What’s In The Box?
- Blink Outdoor Camera Features And Specifications
- Requirements To Use This Camera
- Is It Easy To Install?
- What I Love About The Blink Outdoor Camera – The Pros
- Things I Thought Could Use Improvement – The Cons
- Security And Privacy Concerns
- Should You Get One?
- Other Blink Camera Offerings
Yes, the Blink Outdoor Camera is good. It has many valuable features that I will go into more detail about here so you can decide if it is right for you.
What’s In The Box?
The package that I chose, the one-camera system, included the following:
- The Blink Outdoor camera.
- The Blink Sync Module.
- A quick start guide.
- USB cable and power adapter.
- Camera mount kit and screws.
- 2 AA lithium batteries.
If you want to purchase one, click here for different package options.
This camera has plenty of features that include:
- Two-year battery life – The battery life on this camera is two years. That is a really long period and is indicative of the overall quality of this camera. This is one of the many reasons I chose this camera.
- Two-way audio talk intercom – When visitors arrive at your door, you talk to them through the Blink app. This is an excellent feature for those who are often away or want additional safety in their home.
- Weatherproof – This camera is designed to withstand rain, snow, heat, and even sun without an issue.
- Wide angle lens – The wide angle lens makes it perfect for keeping an eye on all of your property.
- Built-in motion detection – The motion sensor triggers the camera to record when it detects motion nearby. You can choose if you want it to record continuously, only when motion is detected, or both. This is perfect for detecting an intrusion or keeping an eye on a driveway or yard.
- Compatible with Homekit, Alexa, Google Home, etc.
- Different video storage options – Cloud subscription plan or local storage using a USB drive. I like the local storage option as it will keep your video private and allow you to save more video data than the standard plan, which I describe as basic storage.
- Excellent video quality – The video for this camera was recorded at 1080p HD.
Learn more about how these cameras work here.
This camera has the following specs:
- Up to 1080p (1920x1080px) resolution.
- 110-degree field of view.
- Fixed focus range.
- Full-color imaging with auto white balance and auto exposure.
- 850 nm Infrared LED night vision.
- Infrared hardware detection with adjustable motion detection sensitivity ranges from 6 to 20 feet.
- Advanced activity zones.
- Built-in Microphone and Speaker.
- 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.
- Temperature sensors.
- 2-year battery life.
- 71 x 71 x 34 mm dimensions.
- 4 oz weight.
Requirements To Use This Camera
To be able to use this camera, there are a few things that you need in addition to the camera kit:
- iPhone or Android Smartphone.
- A 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection.
Is It Easy To Install?
Yes, it is straightforward to install and set up.
Installing the Blink Outdoor camera is incredibly simple and fast. All you need to do is download the Blink app and follow the instructions. It took me less than five minutes to get it up and running on my wifi network.
The quick start guide gives you three steps to handle this task quickly and easily.
You download the Blink app first. Then it will get you to create a security camera system in the app where you define your Blink Sync Module.
From there, you must add cameras to your security system in the app.
I have been using this camera for a couple weeks now, and there are many things that I really like about this security camera setup:
- The price – This camera kit can be purchased on Amazon for a very reasonable price compared to other wireless security cameras on the market. The kit itself cost me a little over one hundred dollars.
- Quick and easy to set up – I already mentioned this, but it is worth repeating because it is so true. The installation of this camera was simple and fast. It is a straightforward process to install and set up this camera. Several features make it simple to set up this camera and lodge and get recording video immediately.
- Two-year battery life – I mentioned earlier that two years of battery life is fantastic, and it really is. I have my camera mounted relatively high, and getting a ladder out multiple times yearly (sometimes in the snow!) would be challenging. With this camera, I know I won’t have to deal with this for two years. And replacement batteries are easy to get anywhere.
- Storage options – I like the idea of choosing either a monthly subscription plan to store my video clips or just using a local USB drive. The subscription plan is very cheap, but I like to not have to pay any monthly fee and store my clips in my own drive. They don’t lock you into a subscription plan in addition to having to buy the camera.
- Easy to expand the system – The Blink Sync Module makes it very easy to add more cameras (up to 10 cameras per sync module).
- The Blink App – This is another factor that I love about this camera the Blink app. The app is straightforward to use and very easy to navigate. It has a clear layout that makes it easy to find and access your security cameras, change the settings, add cameras to the system, and record video.
- Multiple recording modes – The camera can be set to record continuously (24/7), only when motion is detected, or both always and only when motion is detected. You can choose which mode you want for the cameras you use on your security camera system.
- Excellent video resolution – The video quality you get with this camera is excellent. The video is recorded in HD at 1080p resolution. That gives you excellent video quality with crisp and sharp video.
- Night vision – The video is also recorded at night with the Infrared LED lights. This is another feature I like about this camera, as the night vision will give you a good view of what is going on around your property at night.
Things I Thought Could Use Improvement – The Cons
While I do love this camera, there are a couple things that I would like to see improved:
- I wish it came with a little better mounting hardware – The mounting hardware that comes with the camera is pretty basic.
- Some of the settings are a bit basic. For example, the video quality settings give you three primary options “Saver,” “Standard,” or “Best” – I wish it told me what the resolution is for each of these settings. The same thing goes for other settings like IR Intensity, etc.
Security And Privacy Concerns
When using any wireless security camera connected to the Internet, you should consider how your security and privacy are impacted. For example, when you use cloud storage, you share your data over the Internet and with Blink. Check out the security and privacy policies to ensure that you agree with how they handle your data.
I do not have a lot of concerns here since I only use basic features with my Blink Outdoor Camera and do not store my clips in the cloud. If you are concerned about your security, do more research and keep that in mind when choosing security cameras for your home.
Should You Get One?
Suppose you want a tremendous wireless security camera for your home that allows you to record video in HD and have the ability to see what is going on around your property at all times. In that case, I recommend getting the Blink Outdoor Camera from Blink for your home.
This is an excellent camera at a great and reasonable price, and you also get a 2-year battery life, which makes it even better. I recommend this security camera for your home if you want to see what is happening around your property from almost anywhere.
If you want some other options that you can easily pair with this camera, I would recommend checking out the entire Blink line of cameras:
- Blink XT2 camera.
- Blink indoor camera system.
- Blink video doorbell camera.
- Blink Mini
I like the Blink Outdoor Camera from Blink Camera Company. It provides a great way to quickly set up and view your security cameras from almost anywhere, take still photos, & record video.
It was also easy to set up and install this camera. Installation was effortless and fast. The two-year battery life is excellent, and I also like that you can use both cloud storage and local storage options.
With a great price, all this makes it a winner for me!