So it happened. You logged into your Blink app to check your security camera’s video feed, and the camera is gone!
You go outside to see what is happening and see that someone stole your camera!
What do you do now?
Can Blink Cameras Be Stolen?
Are you wondering if people steal the outdoor Blink camera? Yes, unfortunately, it can happen. People sometimes do crazy things, such as stealing security cameras attached to their homes.
Even though security measures are taken to prevent people from accessing your video feed remotely, some people will attempt to hack into your Blink camera system to gain access to it.
This can cause all kinds of problems, especially if the person breaking into your system is a criminal and is casing your home for a future robbery or burglary. What can you do if this happens to you?
How to Prevent Blink Camera From Being Stolen
How do I stop my Blink camera from being stolen? There are a few things that you can do to help protect your security camera from theft.
- Ensure that it is installed in an area that cannot be easily reached outside your home. This includes using screws to secure the camera to a wall or ceiling so it cannot be pulled off or lifted off by a passerby. Learn more about mounting your Blink camera here.
- Make sure that you change the login credentials for your online account regularly. This way, if someone gets into your account and changes the password, they will no longer be able to gain access to the system.
- Consider getting motion-activated lights – a flashing light may be enough of a deterrent to keep people from trying to access your camera in the first place. However, if they attempt to access your camera, the lights may scare them off before they can tamper with it.
- Upgrade your mount to a more secure version like this one. These are relatively cheap and much harder to break the camera off.
- Use longer screws – this will also make it harder for someone to lift the camera off of the mount and make it harder for them to access the camera itself by making it more difficult for them to remove the screws on the mount.
What Happens If My Blink Camera Is Stolen?
If your Blink camera is stolen, there are some things that you should do immediately to prevent someone from gaining access to your footage.
The first thing you should do is report the theft to the police as soon as possible. The police will be able to help you file a police report so that you can get the claim you need to replace the camera. Make sure to keep a copy of the police report because you can use it to get a free replacement from Blink (read on to learn more about their replacement offer).
Luckily, even if a thief has your camera, they will not have access to your video footage unless you give them permission to log into your account and change your password. This will hopefully keep them from gaining access to your account and any footage that may be stored there.
Does Blink Replace Stolen Cameras?
Yes, Blink does have a courtesy theft replacement program that you can use if your outdoor camera is stolen. They make it relatively easy to do with only a few steps as long as you report it to them within 15 days of the theft:
- Report the theft to the police – since I mentioned this in the last section of this article, you probably already did this.
- Get a copy of the police report.
- Scan the police report and attach it to a support ticket with Blink. You can create a support ticket at https://support.blinkforhome.com/contact/support-HJIZ2VBIH.
This, to me, is excellent customer service!
Since the camera is probably already tied to your account, it cannot be used unless you delete it from your account.
There is currently no way to track a stolen camera.
It really depends on the location of the camera. I would also recommend buying some more secure mounting brackets if you are concerned with your camera getting stolen.
As with anything, the first measure to prevent theft is prevention! Hopefully, by taking these few steps, you will be able to keep your outdoor cameras from being stolen and hopefully deter any thieves that may consider doing so in the future.
However, Blink cameras offer replacement cameras for free. So if yours does end up getting stolen, make sure to follow the steps above to get a replacement!