When we talk about making our cribs smarter, we usually talk about Alexa or Google Home-powered setups. And don’t get us wrong, those are great and all. But have you heard of Hubitat? This bad boy is a hidden gem in the smart home game, and we’re here to spread the word.
Hubitat works with hundreds of third-party devices, so you don’t have to choose between your favorite brands. It’s like having a home assistant who speaks every language and can play well with others. Trust us, once you give Hubitat a chance, you’ll always return to a cohesive smart home system. So why not give it a shot? Your home will thank you.
Here's what we cover:
- Can Hubitat Connect To Wifi Devices?
- Connecting A Hubitat Elevation Or Hubitat C5 To Wifi
- How To Connect Wifi Devices To Hubitat
- What Devices Can You Control Over Wifi?
Can Hubitat Connect To Wifi Devices?
Yes, Hubitat will work with wifi. You can use a Hubitat hub such as the Elevation to control devices connected to a wifi network.
Connecting A Hubitat Elevation Or Hubitat C5 To Wifi
So you’ve got a Hubitat Elevation in your pad, huh? Cool! This little guy acts as a hub for all your Zigbee and Z-wave devices and allows you to control them from the palm of your hand with just a few taps on your phone app.
Imagine being able to crank up the tunes on your Sonos speaker without ever leaving the couch.
And those smart lights? Psh, you’ll be able to turn them on and off like a boss. All you need is a home WiFi network; boom, you’re good to go.
Remember, there might be a couple steps to set up before you can fully take advantage of all this awesomeness.
How To Connect Wifi Devices To Hubitat
Connecting your wifi smart home devices is relatively easy once you have set up your Hubitat hub. It is basically the same as any other hub, except that currently, there is no dedicated app for the Hubitat.
Instead, you connect to the hub through a web browser using the hub’s IP address as the location. I tend to liken it to how you would want to log into the admin settings of a wifi router.
When you open the page in your web browser, you are greeted with the Hubitat Dashboard.
Let’s look at a step-by-step:
Open the Hubitat Dashboard with your web browser.
To do this, you will need the IP address of the Hubitat hub (for example – 192.168.71.137).
Put your device into pairing mode.
This will vary depending on the device, but each should have its own specific instructions on how to do this.
Wait for the device to be discovered and added to your dashboard’s device list.
After completing these steps, you can easily control the device from your dashboard. You should be able to use the buttons on the touchscreen panels or your smartphone and tablet apps to control the device remotely through the mobile app or a web browser.
What Devices Can You Control Over Wifi?
There are many different devices that you can set up to be controlled using the Hubitat hub. These include:
- Feit and Merkury wifi bulbs – a smart light bulb that connects to a home Wi-Fi network and can be turned on and off from anywhere using a mobile phone or a tablet PC connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or mobile networks.
- Honeywell wifi thermostat – a smart thermostat that connects to a home Wi-Fi network and can control your home’s temperature from anywhere using a mobile phone or a tablet PC connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or mobile networks.
- Wifi plugs – smart plugs for switching appliances and electrical devices anywhere in the house via mobile phone or tablets with internet access via Wi-Fi or mobile networks.
- Wifi speakers – listen to music or podcasts from your mobile phone, tablet or laptop anywhere in the house via Wi-Fi access or a mobile data connection.
- Wifi switch – switches on or off connected electrical appliances and electrical devices at home from anywhere in the world using your smartphone or tablet with Internet access via a Wi-Fi connection or a mobile data connection.
A Hubitat hub is an excellent option for controlling wifi devices around your home, such as thermostats, lights, door locks, and more. It is straightforward to use and set up and offers a lot of flexibility regarding the types of devices and appliances you can use with it.
Because it uses wireless technology, it is very flexible where you can set it up in your home, and you don’t have to run wires everywhere to get things working.