If you’re in the market for a home security upgrade, check out the Ring Doorbell 2. It’s been a popular pick among homeowners. For a good reason – it’s got a sleek design, some seriously cool features, and delivers on performance.
With its HD camera and two-way audio, you can spy on your visitors and chat with them from anywhere using the Ring app. It’s like having a personal doorman, minus the fancy hat and pants.
Motion detection is a significant perk, too, so you’ll never miss a beat when someone’s lurking around your doorstep. And the best part? It’s super easy to set up and install. You can power it with your existing doorbell wiring or the rechargeable battery pack.
In this review, we’re diving deep into the Ring Doorbell 2 to give you all the necessary information to make a well-informed decision when setting up a doorbell camera. Whether starting from scratch or upgrading your current setup, this review covers you.
Here's what we cover:
- Is The Ring Doorbell 2 Worth It?
- My Experience With It After Three Months Of Use
- What Comes With The Ring Doorbell 2 In The Box Contents?
- Design and Setup
- A Teardown Of Features And Specs
- Image And Video Quality
- How Does The Ring Video Doorbell 2 Work?
- About The Included Warranty
- Comparison To Other Ring Doorbell Models
- Doorbell 2’s Pros
Is The Ring Doorbell 2 Worth It?
It ultimately depends on your needs and preferences. The Ring Doorbell 2 is a popular and reliable choice for a doorbell camera, with advanced features such as high-definition video, two-way audio, and motion detection. It is also relatively easy to install and can be powered by your existing doorbell wiring or the included rechargeable battery pack.
It’s essential to weigh the pros and cons and compare it to other doorbell camera options before making a decision. If the features and performance meet your needs and budget, it could be a worthwhile investment for your home security setup.
My Experience With It After Three Months Of Use
When writing this review, I have been using this doorbell on my front door for the past three months. Here are some things that I really like about this smart doorbell:
- It was effortless to install – took less than 10 minutes to open the box and get it running in the app (and I’m not a handy guy when it comes to fixing things around the house).
- It has been “set and forget.” I haven’t had to do anything else with it since I installed it except for charging the battery, which I have only had to do three times so far.
- I like checking the live view from time to time to see what is happening in my front yard while I am gone.
- I don’t have an existing chime in my house, so I installed it wireless. I like that it was so easy to install this way.
Things I wish I had the option to have:
- It only has the cloud storage option that requires a monthly subscription. While the subscription is cheap at around $4 per month or $40 per year, I would like the option to save my video files locally on an SD card or USB stick.
What Comes With The Ring Doorbell 2 In The Box Contents?
The contents of the box may vary depending on the specific bundle or package you purchase, but typically it will include the following items:
- Ring Doorbell 2 unit
- Screws and anchors
- User manual and quick-start guide
Design and Setup
Check it out. You’re about to upgrade your front door game with this bad boy. It’s got a sleek, modern design with a rectangular body and a circular button for ringing the doorbell. And don’t let its compact size fool you – it’s just 4.98 inches by 2.43 inches by 1.06 inches, but it packs a punch.
Installing the doorbell is pretty straightforward, but you’ll need to gather a few tools before getting started. Grab yourself a drill, screwdriver, hammer, and level, and you’ll be good to go. If you don’t have existing doorbell wiring, you’ll need to pick up a compatible transformer and doorbell wire.
You’ve got options when it comes to powering the doorbell. You can either use your existing doorbell wiring or the included rechargeable battery pack. So, you can pick the one that’s right for you.
Mounting the doorbell to the wall is simple. Just screw it in place with screws and anchors. Then connect it to your doorbell wiring or set it up through the Ring app on your smartphone. The app will walk you through the setup process, including connecting it to your Wi-Fi network and calibrating the motion detection.
Just make sure to follow the instructions closely and take your time so you can ace the installation. Trust me, it’s worth the effort for a front door that’s about to look fresh to death.
A Teardown Of Features And Specs
Here are some of the key specs and features:
- Dimensions: 4.98 inches by 2.43 inches by 1.06 inches
- Video resolution: 1080p HD
- Field of view: 160 degrees
- Two-way audio: Yes
- Motion detection: Yes
- Night vision: Yes
- Live view: Yes.
- Power options: Hardwired or battery-powered (with included rechargeable battery pack)
- Operating temperature range: -5°F to 120°F
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
It is designed to be a powerful and convenient tool for home security, with advanced features such as high-definition video, two-way audio, and motion sensor. It is also relatively easy to install and can be powered by your existing doorbell wiring or the included rechargeable battery pack. Some features, such as live view and cloud storage, may require a subscription to access.
Image And Video Quality
The Ring Doorbell 2 is the real deal. It’s got a sick 1080p HD camera that’s gonna give you crystal clear footage of your front porch. With a 160-degree field of view, you won’t miss a thing happening outside your door.
People are seriously impressed with the video quality of this baby. They say it’s super sharp and detailed. And when the sun goes down, no worries! The night vision is also on point, keeping an eye on things even in low-light conditions.
The video and image quality might be impacted by a few things, like your device’s screen resolution, internet connection strength, and lighting outside. If you’re concerned about it, hit up some reviews and research to better understand what the Doorbell 2 is all about. Trust me, it’s designed to give you top-notch footage, and it’s gotten a ton of love for its performance.
How Does The Ring Video Doorbell 2 Work?
Setting it up is a breeze, and once you’ve got it up and running, the Ring app is your go-to for all the juicy features.
And let me tell you, this thing is brilliant. Whenever someone rings your doorbell or sets off the motion sensor, your phone will light up like a Christmas tree with a notification. You’ll never miss a beat, my friend!
But wait, it gets even better. The Ring app lets you see a live video feed from your doorbell, so you can check in on your front porch and see who’s there. You can even talk to visitors, so you don’t have to open the door to have a little chit-chat.
And if you’re curious, you can access a live video feed anytime with a Ring Protect subscription. So, what are you waiting for? Get ready to elevate your front porch game!
About The Included Warranty
Ring’s got your back with a one-year limited warranty that covers any materials and quality defects. But, to make sure we’re clear, this warranty is only for the OG owner of the doorbell and can’t be passed on to anyone else. And don’t get any ideas about abusing or modifying your doorbell ’cause that voids the warranty too.
If you run into any trouble, don’t sweat it! Ring will fix or replace any faulty parts for free. And if your doorbell can’t be saved, no worries, Ring will hook you up with a new or refurbished one of equal or similar value. Just keep in mind, normal wear and tear and any damages caused by you aren’t covered under warranty.
If you think you might have a warranty issue, give Ring’s customer support team a shout. They’ll help you figure out if you’re covered and give you the rundown on how to get it sorted. Oh, and a pro tip: keep your proof of purchase and your doorbell’s serial number handy just in case you need to make a claim.
Comparison To Other Ring Doorbell Models
The Ring Doorbell 2 is one of Ring’s camera models. It is generally considered a mid-range option in terms of price and features. Here is a brief comparison to other Ring doorbell models:
- Ring Doorbell 3: The Ring Doorbell 3 is the successor to the Doorbell 2 and is generally considered an upgrade in terms of features and performance. It has a 1080p HD camera with a 160-degree field of view, two-way audio, motion detection, and night vision, similar to the Doorbell 2. However, it also has features such as pre-roll video, which captures a few seconds of video before the motion is detected, and improved motion detection technology. It is also compatible with 5GHz Wi-Fi networks, which can help improve connectivity. The Doorbell 3 is generally more expensive than the Doorbell 2.
- Ring Doorbell 3 Plus: The Ring Doorbell 3 Plus is a higher-end model that builds on the features of the Doorbell 3. It has a 1080p HD camera with a 180-degree field of view, two-way audio, motion detection, and night vision. It also has features such as advanced motion detection that can differentiate between humans, animals, and other objects and a built-in siren that can be activated through the Ring app. The Doorbell 3 Plus is generally more expensive than the Doorbell 2 and 3.
- Ring Pro: The Ring Pro is an upgraded version of the Ring Doorbell with more connectivity options (both 2.4 and 5 GHz).
In terms of which model best fits different needs, it ultimately depends on your specific requirements and budget. If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable doorbell camera with basic features, the Ring Doorbell 2 may be a good fit.
If you want additional features such as advanced motion detection and a built-in siren, the Doorbell 3 Plus may be worth considering. The Doorbell 3 is an excellent middle ground, offering some additional features and improved performance over the Doorbell 2 at a slightly higher price point. It’s always a good idea to compare the different models and consider your needs and budget before deciding.
Doorbell 2’s Pros
Here is a list of some potential pros:
- Affordable price: The Doorbell 2 is generally considered an affordable option among doorbell cameras, with a price point lower than some of Ring’s higher-end models. This makes it a good choice for those who want the convenience and security of a doorbell camera without breaking the bank.
- Reliable performance: The Doorbell 2 generally receives positive feedback for its reliability, with many users noting that it works well and provides clear and detailed video. It is designed to be a reliable and convenient home security solution.
- Easy installation: The Doorbell 2 is designed to be easy to install, with a straightforward setup process that can be completed through the Ring app on your smartphone. It can be powered by either your existing doorbell wiring or battery operated with the included rechargeable battery pack, giving you some flexibility in terms of installation.
- Advanced features: The Doorbell 2 has various advanced features that make it a powerful and convenient home security solution. These include a 1080p HD camera, two-way audio, motion detection, and night vision.
- Compatibility with smart home devices: The Doorbell 2 is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing you to integrate it with your existing smart home setup. This can make it even more convenient to use and control through voice commands or through the app on your smartphone.
Here is a list of some potential cons:
- Limited color options: It is only available in four colors: satin nickel, antique brass, Venetian bronze, and polished brass. This may be a drawback for those who want more color options or a doorbell that better matches their home’s exterior.
- Subscription required for certain features: Some, such as live view and cloud storage, require a subscription to Ring Protect. This may be an additional cost that some users prefer to avoid paying.
- Potential connectivity issues: Some users have reported connectivity issues, such as difficulty connecting to their Wi-Fi network or experiencing intermittent connectivity. These issues may be frustrating and can affect the doorbell’s performance.
- Possible technical issues: As with any electronic device, there is always a possibility of technical problems or defects. Some users have reported experiencing issues, such as faulty hardware or software problems. While these issues may be rare, they can be frustrating and require repair or replacement.
It is generally well-regarded as a reliable and convenient home security solution. However, like any product, it has some potential downsides.
Is the Ring Doorbell 2 the same as the 2nd generation?
Yes, the Ring Doorbell 2 is the same as the 2nd generation Ring doorbell. The “2nd generation” designation refers to the fact that it is the second version of the Ring doorbell camera, with the original version being the first generation.
It is sometimes referred to as the “Ring Video Doorbell 2” to distinguish it from other Ring doorbell models with different names. It is a mid-range doorbell camera that offers a range of advanced features and an affordable price point, making it a popular choice for many homeowners.
If you’re in the market for a doorbell cam, the Ring Doorbell 2 is a solid pick. With its 1080p HD camera, two-way audio, motion detection, and sick night vision, it’s got all the bells and whistles you need to keep your home safe. Plus, it’s pretty simple to install – use your existing doorbell wiring or pop in the included rechargeable battery pack.
Now, let’s not sugarcoat things. The Doorbell 2 does have a few potential downsides. You’re limited to four color options, and some features, like live view and cloud storage, require a subscription to Ring Protect. And, like with any tech, some people may encounter connectivity or technical problems.
So, before you hit the buy button, think about what you need and your budget. If the Doorbell 2 is a good fit for you, then go for it! But if not, keep shopping around – there are plenty of options.