Most people use their doorbell camera as an extra layer to their home security system.
Eufy does more than monitor your front door. It gives you a wide-angle view of your home to see who is at the door from anywhere.
Let’s take a detailed look at it.
About This Review
For this review, I am looking at the primary model you can buy. However, several other doorbell camera models are also available. These include:
What Is The Eufy Doorbell Camera?
The Eufy doorbell camera is easy to install and doesn’t require any subscription. Simply pop the doorbell camera onto any flat surface (wall or door) and connect to your home’s 2.4 GHz wi-fi signal.
From there, you can set up a mobile notification that will be sent to your phone when the camera detects movement. The camera records full 1080p HD video and captures clear images day or night.
The doorbell camera also allows two-way audio, so you can communicate with guests at the door. Enjoy peace of mind by storing the footage on a removable microSD card. The Eufy doorbell camera is also compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant.
A Quick Eufy Doorbell Camera Teardown
What Comes In The Box?
When you open the box, you will find the following:
- Doorbell camera.
- Home base unit.
- Mounting brackets, hardware, and security tool.
- Documentation and security stickers for your windows.
Eufy Doorbell Camera Specs
- Video resolution – 1080p.
- Power – built-in rechargeable battery that lasts approximately 120 days.
- MicroSD slot for local video storage.
- Controlled and configured through the Eufy security app.
Eufy Doorbell Camera Features
- Motion detection.
- Head-to-toe view.
- Respond to visitors in real-time with 2-way audio.
- It can be configured to work with Google Assistant or Alexa.
- No monthly subscription is required.
- The home base doubles as a range extender and chime.
Like many other video doorbells on the market, such as the Nest and Ring doorbells, the video quality is excellent, and the night vision is decent. The sound quality is also good, so you can easily hear what is going on at your door even if someone is wearing headphones or the music is too loud in their car.
The two-way audio feature works well, and you can talk to the person at the front door without having to open the door yourself, which can be helpful if you are expecting a package, for example, and you want to be sure it is from the right person before you open it.
You can also configure the smart video doorbell to respond to your voice commands using Alexa or Google Assistant, which is a nice feature if you are busy and cannot answer the door yourself or if your hands are full carrying groceries, for example.
One nice feature is the home base station that doubles up as a chime and a range extender for the wi-fi signal, too, so you don’t need to have it close to your router to get a strong signal at your front door.
It is also compact enough to fit discreetly on your front door, and the simple design means it won’t stand out too much either.
Overall, the features offered by the Eufy smart video doorbell are good, and the video quality is excellent, so if you are looking for a cheap alternative to more expensive smart video doorbells, then the Eufy smart video doorbell could be an excellent option for you to consider.
Unfortunately, there are a few cons, but I don’t think they are game-changers.
- Since all the video is stored on the microSD card, you also lose the footage on the card if the doorbell gets stolen. However, the good news is that thanks to the security features in the way they are installed on your wall, there is a minimal chance of this happening.
- You need to have an ethernet cable when you set it up with the base unit for the first time. Something I had to hunt for around my house to find.
Is the Eufy Doorbell Worth It?
Yes, the Eufy doorbell is worth it if you are looking for an affordable option that allows you to store your video locally on a removable memory card rather than in the cloud, where it could be hacked into more quickly than if it was stored locally on your own device such as a hard drive for example.
I also like that you can control it with your voice using Alexa or Google Assistant. This feature is handy if you don’t have time to answer the door yourself and want someone to know you are home and expecting them.
Overall, the Eufy smart video wireless doorbell is an excellent option that offers superb value for money, especially if you have a limited budget and don’t want to pay a monthly subscription fee for a service like Ring or Nest, for instance.